Software Architecture Resources
Papers on Software Architecture, Architecting and Architects
- Malan, Ruth, Design Visualization: Part I -- Software Architecture (.pdf) and on Slideshare
- Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, "The Art of Change: Fractal and Emergent," Cutter Consortium Enterprise Architecture Executive Report, Vol. 13, No. 5, 2010. You can download a complimentary copy at http://www.cutter.com/offers/artofchange.html. See synopsis.
- Here are the papers we have written for the Cutter Executive Report series in the past:
Architecting process (innovation and agile architecting):
Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer. “Getting Past ‘But’: Finding Opportunity and Making It Happen.” Cutter Consortium Enterprise Architecture Executive Report, Vol. 11, No. 8, 2008, http://www.cutter.com/offers/findopportunity.html
Architects (this report is useful for solution, platform and software architects as well as Enterprise Architects:
Dana Bredemeyer and Ruth Malan. “What It Takes to Be a Great Enterprise Architect.” Cutter Consortium Enterprise Architecture Executive Report, Vol. 7, No. 8, 2004. You can download a complimentary copy from http://www.cutter.com/offers/greatarchitect.html.
Malan, Ruth, and Dana Bredemeyer. “Enterprise Architecture as Strategic Differentiator.” Cutter Consortium Enterprise Architecture Executive Report, Vol. 8, No. 6, 2005. Cutter is running a promotion, and you can download this issue free at http://www.cutter.com/offers/strategic.html.
- "Architect: What's in a Name?" by Ruth Malan, April 2006.
"Architects and Accountability," by Ruth Malan, April 2006.
"Nurturing the Architect Tree," by Ruth Malan, April 2008.
"Refactoring," by Ruth Malan, July 2008.
- "Key Architecture Decisions Template" (MS Word doc), by Anshu Gaind, October 2005.
- Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer have completed another chapter (draft) of the Software Architecture Action Guide book. See
-- Meta-Architecture chapter: MetaArchitectureActionGuide.pdf, 237kb.
-- Conceptual Architecture chapter: ConceptualArchitectureActionGuide.pdf.
See Table of Contents to download drafts of chapters. Join our mailing list to receive updates.
- "Architecture as Business Competency", (ArchitectureAsBusinessCompetency.PDF, 97kb) by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, January 2004. January 15, 2004.
- We would like to thank the following reviewers who have given us feedback (see detail):
- Claire Streb, Real Time Enterprises, Inc.
- We are privileged to be able to bring you "Chapter 7: Deployment Architecture" of Luke Hohman's new book, titled Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions, © 2003 Pearson Education, Inc. Republished by permission of Pearson Education, Inc. (publishing as Pearson Addison Wesley). This book delves into many of the non-technical concerns of an architect, in addition to some of the more technical ones. For more information on Beyond Software Architecture and to order it, see the book page on the Addison-Wesley site (http://www.awprofessional.com/titles/0201775948).
- Software Architecture: Organizational Principles and Patterns: Preface and "Rhythm: Assuring Beat, Process and Movement" chapter 4, by David Dikel, David Kane, and James Wilson, Prentice-Hall, 2001. For more information on this book and to order it, see the book page on the Prentice-Hall site or Amazon.com.
- "Software Architecture: Central Concerns, Key Decisions" (ArchitectureDefinition.PDF, 124 kb) by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, May 2002.
- "Less is More with Minimalist Architecture" (MinimalistArchitecture.PDF, 47kb) by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, published in IEEE's IT Professional, September/October 2002. © 2002 IEEE. Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.
- "The Visual Architecting Process™" (VisualArchitectingProcess.pdf, 223kb), by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, January 2005. (Revision of the May 2003 paper) <1/25/05>
- "Defining Non-Functional Requirements" or System Qualities (nonFunctReq.pdf, 39kb), by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, August 2001.
- "Architecture Teams" (ArchitectureTeams.pdf, 23kb), by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, March 2001.
- "Creating an Architectural Vision: Collecting Input" (vision_input.pdf, 10kb), by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, July 2000. See also Newspaper_ Vision.pdf (34 kb), which is a fictitious vision article we created in the year 2000 as a promotion. Back then, 2003 was three years out, not 3 years behind us! Sadly, this vision is still relevant to many companies 6 years after vision was written!
- "James Madison and the Role of the Architect" (madison.pdf, 7kb), by Dana Bredemeyer, June 1999.
- "Role of the Software Architect" (ArchitectRole.PDF, 40kb), by Dana Bredemeyer and Ruth Malan, 2002 (minor revision of 1999 paper).
- "Functional Requirements and Use Cases" (FunctReq.pdf, 39kb), by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, June 1999.
- "The Tao of the Software Architect: Lao-Tsu, revisited" (tao by Kruchten.htm) by Philippe Kruchten.
- video: PICTURE IT: The Art of Drawing People In, by Ruth Malan, presented at the CAEAP Summit, June 2009. <10/03/09>
script: PICTURE IT: The Art of Drawing People In
- What: Architecture Definition, by Ruth Malan, presented at the Indianapolis Java Users Group, April 2005. (SoftwareArchitectureIntro.PDF). <4/29/05>
- Architecture Strategy Choreographs the Dance of Change, by Dana Bredemeyer and Ruth Malan, September 2003. (ArchitectureStrategy.PDF, 872 Kb). <9/29/03>
- Enterprise Architecture as Business Capabilities Architecture, by Dana Bredemeyer, Ruth Malan, Raj Krishnan and Aaron LaFrenz, May 2003, updated May 2006. (EnterpriseArchitectureAsCapabilitiesArchSlides.PDF, 317 Kb). <05/31/06>
- Overview of the Visual Architecting Process™, by Dana Bredemeyer and Ruth Malan, May 2003. (VisualArchitectingProcessOverviewSlides.PDF, 2.7 Mb). <5/7/03>
- What it Takes to be a Great in the Role of Enterprise Architect, by Dana Bredemeyer and Ruth Malan, September 2002. (GreatArchitect.PDF, 883 Kb). <9/24/02>
- Introduction to Software Architecture, by Dana Bredemeyer and Ruth Malan, July 2002. (ArchitectureIntroduction.PDF, 1.2 Mb).
- Architecture Definitions and Views, March 2001 (Definitions.pdf, 206Kb).
- Introduction to the Lead/Follow/Get out of the Way tutorial presented at the Enterprise Architectures Conference in Boston, March 2001 (LFGIntro.pdf, 498kb).
- Software Architecture Action Guide presentation given at the INRUG Training Symposium, April 6, 2000 (Architecture_Action_Guide_Talk.pdf, 179kb).
- Guiding Principles for Enterprise Architects, by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, April 2004. (http://www.bredemeyer.com/HotSpot/20040428EASoapBox.htm). <4/28/04>
- Architecture Strategy, by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, April 2003. (http://www.bredemeyer.com/ArchitectingProcess/ArchitectureStrategy.htm). <1/27/04>
- Architecture Requirements, by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, February 2002. (http://www.bredemeyer.com/ArchitectingProcess/ArchitecturalRequirements.htm). <1/27/04>
- Meta-Architecture, by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, January 2004. (http://www.bredemeyer.com/ArchitectingProcess/MetaArchitecture.htm). <1/27/04>
- Architecture Teams, by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer, April 2001. (http://www.bredemeyer.com/Architecture_Teams.htm). <1/27/04>
- Visual Architecting Process™ Core Activities (VisualArchitectingProcess_Core.PDF, 191kb). This chart is formatted to be printed on 11x17 paper. <2007>
- Visual Architecting Process™ Poster (VAP_PosterWhite.jpg). This poster is formatted to be printed on 11x17 paper. <2008>
- 2 page primer on Software Architecture and the Visual Architecting Process™ (VAPActionGuide2005.pdf, 57kb). <1/21/04>
Our Architect Competency Framework is under development. We are sharing these drafts of the framework, and the associated competency elaborations, with you. Please note that these are works-in-progress. We welcome your suggestions for improvement.
In each of the competency elaboration modules below, Level I identifies the knowledge, activities and characteristics needed for an architect to perform well at component scope, Level II at application/system project scope, Level III at product family or portfolio scope, and Level IV at Enterprise scope. We invite your feedback, suggestions and stories.
- Architect Competency Framework (6 kb). 1 page summary of the architect's domains of competency (what you know, what you do, and what you are). <9/24/02>
- Technology Competency Elaboration (26 kb). This module elaborates on the technology competency domain in our Architect Competency Framework. <1/9/03>
- Strategy Competency Elaboration (19 kb). This module elaborates on the strategy competency domain in our Architect Competency Framework. <9/24/02> You may be interested in our Strategy Primer for Architects. <4/25/03>
- Organizational Politics Competency Elaboration (25 kb). This module elaborates on the politics (or organizational effectiveness) competency domain in our Architect Competency Framework. <10/07/02>
- Leadership Competency Elaboration (21 kb). This module elaborates on the leadership competency domain in our Architect Competency Framework. <10/09/02>
Visual Architecting Process™ Guides:
- ProcessGuide.pdf, 60kb is designed to be printed on unruled index cards. This is the ideal format, as these guides are intended as handy references. This is the format we use for our Architecture Action Guide™ handouts given to workshop participants.
- ProcessGuide_8_5x11.pdf has the same content but formatted for 8.5"x11" paper. We have also printed these up on large format paper to use as posters during workshops or for architecture team's work areas.
- Printing instructions: print pages 1 to 7, then turn paper over and print pages 8 to 14 on the reverse side (so that page 8 is on the reverse side of page 1, page 9 on page 2, etc.)
- Note: This is just the set of summary Architecture Action Guides™ for the Architecting Process. The complete set of Architecture Action Guides™ is given to our workshop participants (see our Training and Services page for more information on our workshops).
Example Software Architecture Action Guides™ by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer:
- Conceptual Architecture Action Guide (ConceptualArchitectureActionGuide.pdf, kb) <added 11/17/04>
- Meta-Architecture Action Guide (MetaArchitectureActionGuide.pdf, 237kb) <added 4/2/04>
- Software Architecture Principles Template (Principles_Template.pdf, 24kb)
- Interface Specification Template (Interface_Template.pdf, 24kb)
- Use Case Template (Use_Case_Template.pdf, 25kb)
- Stakeholder Profile Graphic Guide (Stakeholder_Profile.pdf, 222kb)
Example Architecture Action Guides™ for Architecture Teams by Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer:
- Architecture Team Charter Template (ArchitectureTeamCharterTemplate.pdf, 9kb)
Subscribe to our email list if you would like to receive email notice when we add papers and other downloads to this site. Note: you will also receive notice of upcoming workshops, and other significant updates to the site.
Software Architecture Book Drafts on Other Sites
- Software Architecture Handbook, by Grady Booch, online (you have to register to get access). There is an extensive classification of patterns, though the systems architecture case study section is still ostensibly in the writing and permissions pipe. Excellent piece on forces in software architecture. See http://www.booch.com/architecture/index.jsp.
- Software Architect, is being written by Nigel Leeming. For now, it is published on the web at
Software Architecture Papers on Other Sites
- Architectural Blueprints--The "4+1" View Model of Software Architecture, by Philippe Kruchten, IEEE Software 12, November 1995 and published online at http://www.win.tue.nl/~mchaudro/sa2004/Kruchten4+1.pdf
- Architectural Manifesto: Designing software architectures, Part 5
Introducing the 4+1 view model, by Mikko Kontio, http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-arch11/
- An Approach to Architecting Enterprise Solutions, by Robert Seliger. Published in the HP Journal, Feb 1997 (no longer available online).
- Building Evolvable Systems: The ORBlite Project, by Keith Moore and Evan Kirshenbaum. Published in the HP Journal, Feb 1997 (no longer available online).
Collections of Papers
- ArchitecturePlus collection of Presentations and Papers http://www.itpolicy.gsa.gov/mke/archplus/presents.htm
- Software architecture and related papers by Don Batory and members of the Software Systems Generator Research Group http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/schwartz/pub.htm#stja
- Jan Bosch's Software Architecture Papers http://bilbo.ide.hk-r.se:8080/~bosch/articles.html
- Rick Kazman's papers on the Waterloo site http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~rnkazman/SE-papers.html
- Software Architecture papers by Mary Shaw and members of the Vitruvius team http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~Vit/publications/SA.html
- Software Engineering Institute (SEI) publications http://www.sei.cmu.edu/publications/documents/doc.list/
- STARS Software Architecture Papers http://source.asset.com/stars/darpa/Papers/ArchPapers.html
- Alexander Wolf's Architecture papers http://www.cs.colorado.edu/users/alw
Software Architecture Bibliographies on Other Sites
- Gert Florijn's Bibliography, http://www.serc.nl/people/florijn/work/sacourse/refs.html
- GA-Tech Bibliography http://www.cc.gatech.edu/computing/classes/cs8112m/bibliography.html
- Ric Holt's Bibliography, http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~holt/cs/746/98/biblio.html
- Rick Kazman's Bibliography (Waterloo site) http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~rnkazman/SA-bib.html
- SEI Bibliography on Software Architecture, http://www.sei.cmu.edu/architecture/bibpart1.html
- SEI web site on Software Architecture Publications http://www.sei.cmu.edu/architecture/projects.html
- Jianjun Zhao's Bibliography on Software Architecture Analysis http://www.fit.ac.jp/~zhao/pub/sa.html
Copyright © 1999-2012 by Bredemeyer Consulting
Last Modified: June 02, 2011